Friday, January 16, 2009

Quote of the Day


"If God brings you to it,
He will bring you through it."
Author Unknown


God never gives us more than we can handle and with His Grace, we can overcome all obstacles. We can do nothing of ourselves, but with God, all things are possible and God would not ever leave us...
I always love the "Footprints" poem and it certainly applies here....
He may bring us through it by carrying us, if we but trust in Him.




Footprints in the Sand Poem



Last night I had a dream. I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Across the sky flashed scenes from my life. For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand: one belonged to me, the other to the Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me, I looked back at the footprints in the sand. I noticed that at many times along the path of my life, especially at the very lowest and saddest times, there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it. “Lord, you said once I decided to follow you, You’d walk with me all the way. But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life, there was only one set of footprints. I don’t understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me.”

The Lord replied, “My son, my precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of suffering, when you could see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.”




1 comment:

  1. "God doesn't give us more than we can handle." I can't tell you how many times someone has told me that. I realize full well there are people who have been through much worse than I have been through, but it's been such a long list of struggles. When my children were young my husband had a mental breakdown. I struggled with dealing with his illness and 2 small children by myself. I was under constant fear of foreclosure because of his inability to work/keep a job. I even almost lost custody of my children due to my husband’s illness.

    I struggled to get divorced and spent years trying to get full custody, but gave in to joint custody to get it over with. I've had to deal with the repercussions of that and of one of my children being sexually abused while in his care (not by him, but by failure to provide appropriate parental supervision.)

    One of my children had a break similar to his and it's hard to deal with the fact that adulthood will bring further problems. It took 9 months to get some measure of mental health stability in my child. I've had to go to court to stop visitation when my ex became mentally abusive toward the children. Now I'm dealing with gradually starting visitation again after more than 6 months. My ex stopped paying child support a year ago.

    I've become disabled and struggle constantly to stay afloat financially. I struggle with, should I try to get a job and endanger my disability payments? What if I find out that I truly can't tolerate working? (I honestly don’t think I can tolerate it.) I am again in danger of losing my home.

    In a way I see my disability as God's way of better helping me manage my child with mental illness. It lets me be home when the children come home from school and let's me provide constant supervision. But if we lose our home, that’s not going to help my ill child, it’s going to cause another break.

    At this point I don’t even know if any of what I’ve wrote makes sense. It’s just so overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete